Saturday, October 25, 2014

Moving to Los Angeles


First post in a while - I've been pretty busy I suppose. I won't bore you with the details of what's gone on in the three years since I last posted an artful shot of an abandoned doll but it basically boils down to me writing A LOT of TV and applying for the 0-1 work visa for the United States of America (USA).

The visa application was successful and that's why I'm now sitting in a Silver Lake backyard, writing this as an LAPD helicopter hovers annoyingly overhead. My wife and I landed at LAX on October 6 and in the past 3 weeks I've written an episode of 'Home & Away', gotten myself a Social Security number and signed a 12 month lease on an apartment in the Russian district of West Hollywood. I also spotted Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 YEARS A SLAVE) in the carpark at Arclight Cinemas. Not a bad start, all told.

I'm about to finish my comedy/drama pilot 'Bed of Lies' (hence why I'm procrastinating with this blog - I have a slight problem with finishing scripts, hating writing them but not wanting them to ever end), hit up every agent/manager I can to get repped (a necessity in this town, optional in Australia) and hopefully settle into life in "Little Moscow" (West Hollywood has more Russian expats than anywhere else on the West Coast apparently). I'm about to read War & Peace to prepare myself.

Stand by for more entries on life as a very moderately succesful Australian screenwriter (read: occasionally employed) trying to transition into an occasionally employed Hollywood screenwriter.

No comments:

Post a Comment